With temperatures pushing 70 degrees in February (thanks, global warming), it’s been hard to embrace the winter vibe lately. But Newport is gamely plunging forward with its Winter Festival this weekend, ice bars, skating lessons and all.
Events have actually been going on all week, but the chilly celebration peaks tonight through Sunday. The complete schedule is online, but highlights include:
- Save the Bay’s Exploration Center and Aquarium at Easton’s Beach will be open daily
- Wine tastings at Newport Vineyards and Greenvale Vineyards
- Save the Bay Seal Watch Tours
- Ice bars and party at Gurney’s Newport (formerly the Hyatt Regency) and Hotel Viking
- Chicken Wing Cookoff at Gurney’s
- Rhody Beer and Cheese Pairing at Coastal Extreme Brewery
- Beach horseback rides with Newport Equestrian Academy
- Beach polo! And premier of the film Sacred Ground: Newport Polo, at the Jane Pickens Theater
- Live music and comedy at various locations
- Skating lessons and ice skating at the Newport Skating Center
Festival bracelets are $10 and provide discounts to a variety of events. Some events are free, as well, so get down to Newport before it all melts away!